
Shadow writing.
At different times during my life, I have done what I call “shadow writing”. This is something that is intrinsic to me when I become emotional, and need to get something out, but at the same can’t seem to find the words.
I will put on music that is beautiful, whatever I’m feeling at the moment, close my eyes and just type what comes to my head, weather it makes sense or not.
I tried to do this tonight, and I cannot. I’ve been feeling blocked this week. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m just tired from dealing with a sick whiny baby for days on end, or if I’m really blocking something right now.
I feel so messed up in my head right now. I don’t know who I am, what I am, or what I want to do. Maybe it’s living here in Montana, where things just are not as free and easy as they were in California. Most of the time, I’m used to this, but sometimes, I still feel like this just isn’t home. Maybe it’s never going to really feel like home, I don’t know.
Most people here have not experienced what I have. They don’t know what it’s like to live in San Francisco.
They look at me like I’m crazy when I will say something about “pride” week in the city, how the flags fly down Market street all the way from the Castro to the Embarcadero. (keep in mind, I am not usually the one to bring this up, it’s something that comes up when people find out where I’m from)
When they ask me if I’ve ever “been” to the Castro, I have to decide right then how much of myself I’m willing to share. Do I tell them that, yes, not only have I ‘been’ to the Castro, I’ve bar hopped there, visited friends there, ate lunch there too many times to count, went there to buy my coffee on a regular basis.
I’ve spent hours and hours at “The Cafe” with friends getting drunk, smoking cigarettes, and dancing my head off. So yes, not only have I been there, it was one of my regular stops and hang outs.
Do I dare tell them of the number of times, I traipsed all over town on MUNI with my friend James, who is gay, getting drunk, bar hopping and generally causing havoc?
How about the hours and hours I spent on the train with my friend T and my friend S who are both gay. Or the amount of time I spent at monkeynutts house (one of my best friends in this world).
The company I worked at in the financial district had so many openly gay people, that no one blinked an eye, including me.
So where am I going with this? I think I’m having a hard time realizing that I’m feeling this in the place I live, and now that I’m realizing that I too am “gay”, that this is a very strange place to be living in.
I remember 2 years ago, I was getting off the freeway to go to work, and there, right on this huge bill board by the Motel 6 was a giant pink triangle with just a date and a place, (which happened to be pride week).
I thought to myself that hmm....they do have a pride week here. When I got to work, someone made a comment about how there were no gay people here really (this was a topic that came up a lot since I was from SF), and I was thinking, do I say anything, about it or not?
Do I tell these people that there is a huge sign by Motel 6 advertising pride week here in Helena...or not. I chose not too, because I figured that people that wanted to know, would see it, but I wasn’t going to start flapping my mouth at people that have no concept of what it means, and could and might possibly start trouble.
I guess I’m just inner conflicting again. Story of my life. Maybe I’m just always going too be a California Girl....even if I never live there again.
Peace,
OC
It took me about a year to get used to Gunnison. I kept telling everyone about my (past) life mourning it and by doing that was actually pushing away what was to be had there. It is two totally different mind sets. Each with their own merits. You just need to be ready to open up to the new one.
ReplyDeleteI ended up finding more beauty, spirit and life than I ever thought I could there.
If you're ever in the St. Louis area, you've got a kindred spirit who'd be willing to drink coffee, dance and wreak havoc with you!
ReplyDeleteHope you get to feeling more at peace with your situation.
Bing and I went to SF for the first time last year and we were almost drunk with sheer excitement. Living in Nebraska had made us so careful....
ReplyDeleteI have been fortunate to live in a college town - so it is diverse and not "too midwestern". However I did work in a very homophobic environment and was eventually discriminated against. Not fun. It was a "humane society" too of all places.
ReplyDeleteI dunno, I don't think at this point in my life I could live anywhere that was not a diverse, educated and open community.
Thanks for sharing that. I do understand it.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand what you mean, Monkeynuts. I often feel this way too and I'm in L.A. HA! How tragic is that? Granted, when there's diversity and culture everywhere, it's easier to cope with a lot of things, but when you feel isolated... you're alone no matter where you are, I think. However, your environment only makes it more obvious. It all comes down to fear. I've changed a lot since I last saw you. Perhaps I'll reopen my blogspot just for you and relive that blur that I call my 20s, as I re-discover/invest myself... yet again. HA! A mess, I tell you. I am mess... that is in an internet cafe and will have to go over your blog on Monday, while I'm at work. I'll stalk you later.
ReplyDeleteMonkeynutts,
ReplyDeleteYou may be a mess, but you hold one of the dearest places in my heart. I loved you the instant I met you, and always will. That is why it was so horribly hard to be without you. I hope by reading through this, you will see what I've been going through, for a long time. You are the only person I've let in on my little "secret" (no, that's not a pun on the song). I can and do trust you to be my sage.
I love you forever.
Your secrets are always safe with me. *mwah*
ReplyDeleteLove.