September 19, 2008

My Own Family

Wednesday night after I came home from making phone calls for Barack, I was met with a bit of a nasty surprise.

When I was talking to hubby, he said, "Oh, by the way, Moron (his brother) called".
I said "what did he want?"

Hubby went proceeded to go into their conversation. He said "Moron" is for McCain because he doesn't want a "N-Word" in office. I said to him, "I hope you told him I was down there this very minute making phone calls for Senator Obama."

Hubby said, "Of course I did."

I'm so beyond disgusted at my moron BIL right now, I'm not even sure what to do about it. It makes me sad that people in my own family act like this. Well, they won't be doing it around my kids.

If nothing else, hubby right where I am about this election for the exact same reasons. He is doing his part by taking care of the kids so I CAN go make needed phone calls.

It is becoming more and more apparent that we HAVE to get out there and fight. We have to. If you can't make phone calls, go hang signs, go volunteer to watch the kids so someone else can make phone calls. It's THAT important.

He goes to work wearing his "Obama" hat that I bought him, and talks to anyone who will listen about him. He also said "moron brother" was not registered to vote, and that he had told hubby tonight that he had "never" voted. This is coming from a 50-year old man.

OMG...how does this happen? "Moron brother" evidently has a few acres of land in Oklahoma, and supposedly there is oil on it. So he wants McCain in so that they will start drilling for more oil, "drill baby drill".

I told hubby, well at least he's not registered to vote, so is opinion doesn't count, but it made me think.

How much is racisim going to play out in the election if my own family is saying stuff like that?

I'm disgusted by my own family.

I'm glad I moved my kids away from them. Now they have been a help to me a bunch of times, but I will not have my kids around where there is talk like that around the dinner table. I don't know how hubby and moron brother came out of the same womb. Hubby is super liberal, and moron brother has never voted. Their kids have no plans to go to college and are basically deadbeats because mommy and daddy didn't take the time they needed to around school because it wasn't that important.

(I just had a co-worker come up and tell me he was voting for Barack, and he is someone I'm not particulary fond of, but if he votes for Obama, he just got 50 brownie points in my book. He said he had seen all the stickers on my car, and I said, I can't bring it in here, but sure as heck can put stuff all over my truck.)

But the same brother in law, last year when he was up visiting, manged to make digs about me working, and how "his" wife didn't need to work, and was able to stay home with the kids. This is the same woman that doesn't have a drivers license, but will drive everyone around because they are drunk.

I've told her till I'm blue in the face that "do you realize, if you get in an accident, BIL's insurance won't cover you because you aren't licensed?" She doesn't care.

OK, rant over. Keep on Walking.

Peace,

OC

5 comments:

  1. Oy -- I am the only liberal in a family full of Republicans.

    I think I was switched at birth by a horrible error except dammit I do look like them.

    -janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad, OC. I have a friend who is prejudiced. She doesn't like McCain/Palin, but equally doesn't like Obama because of "that black way he talks." Is that the only reason? I asked her if she could get past the accent and get to issues and she said no.

    There is a lot that still needs to be undone in this country.

    Good work, OC. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a family who've been spouting many of the same things... I only laugh when I realize NONE of them take the time to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heres a good thing to think about. My grandfather is a Die hard Dem. He helps out by putting up signs making phone calls taking care of the Vets and doing anything he's asked by the Dem party. This keeps him going. However he's also a racist. Well, he was. During our most recent conversation I asked him how he felt about Obama, he listed everything he liked about him.

    Then of course to stir the pot I brought up his color. He stated that color doesn't matter during important decisions such as this. And he's fit for the job! WOW Pops is growing up! So my family is turning around fast which makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good news in all of this?

    He doesn't vote.

    ReplyDelete