December 14, 2008

Question #3

Question #3 comes from Mamma Llama.

What is the greatest thing you can receive this Christmas?

This sounds a little corny, but I think I have already received the greatest gifts I will ever receive. When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was be a mom. I always thought I'd be one of the people to have children early. It just didn't work out for me that way. I lost a baby to a miscarriage in my 20's with my first husband. I went through the grief of that. I spent years, watching my friends have kids, with me being unable to have them, first because I was unable to get pregnant again, then because I divorced and was single. I had a few scares then, always secretly hoping I would get pregnant, as I was in my 30's and starting to feel the clock ticking.

I took more negative pregnancy tests than I care to admit to taking, each one breaking my heart just a bit more. By the time I met hubby, I had all but given up on having kids. I resigned myself to it, and I think I was becoming "OK" with it, but at the same time, we agreed we both wanted kids, and though we wouldn't go to extreme measures to have them, we would do nothing to prevent them either. This went on for over 2 years, each year with me becoming even more resigned to not having children, and trying to be OK with this in my head.

Then one September morning, I started feeling sick to my stomach right before a big camping trip with friends to Yosemite. Hubby said, maybe you are "pregnant", and I sent him down to the store to buy a test, just to be sure before the big weekend of partying that lay ahead. I was sure it would be negative, as they were ALWAYS negative, but this time, damn....I got two lines. Sent hubby back down to the store, and 6 positive tests later, we were jumping up and down because we were so happy. He even started calling family at 6AM to tell them. Then we stopped on our way out of town for the camping trip and I had an actual blood draw done. The nurse called me the next day, in Yosemite, while I was watching Half Dome from our camp site and said I was "officially" pregnant. I'm not sure I've ever been as thrilled since.

So there you have it. I may have done it the hard way, but my kids are the greatest gifts I have or ever will receive. I am thankful every day that my life took the turn that turned me into a mother.

Peace,

OC

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome story OC. It was meant to be - you as a Mom with two beautiful kids!

    ReplyDelete